Sunday, January 2, 2011

Ringing in the New Year with Boulder's Polar Plunge



Last week my phone rang and it was my good friend Megan begging me to leap into a frozen lake to ring in the new year.

One would think that was an odd request but here in The People's Republic, we have the Polar Plunge - an event held on New Year's Day for crazy Boulderites to ring in the new year by jumping into the Boulder Reservoir in the frigid winter of Colorado. Here's my friend Brittany's article in the Daily Camera about the event.



I told Megan that I would think about it. She knew that basically meant no. But I did think about it and although Boulder's Polar Plunge is for a very good cause - all proceeds benefit the Alzheimer's Association - I just couldn't commit to frolicking in a swimsuit on the cold beach of Boulder Rez before diving into a semi-frozen lake and swimming to and fro an iceberg. That said, they do take all safety precautions necessary from the police, firemen, paramedics to a scuba pro who wades in the water with a dry-suit and gear to save anyone who inadvertently slams their head on ice (awesome).

Don't worry though, Megan wasn't alone to risk hypothermia. She was accompanied by my other crazy friends Annie, Emily, and Tia.

While I didn't jump, I promised to be their official photographer/videographer. I also decided to take photos of the local hotties at the event (see pic above). Check out more photos on my Flickr Photostream. Happy New Year!

1 comment: